Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Lovely Beatrix


Everyone has a hero and mine is Beatrix Potter.


Did you know that when she was 27 she began writing letters to entertain the child of a former governess? The child, Noel Moors, was in bed recovering from scarlet fever. She illustrated the letters with little drawings of rabbits, squirrels and other tiny creatures. This was the beginning of Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, and the hedgehog Mrs. Tiggy Winkle.





The children loved those letters and the stories so much that Beatrix decided to turn the story of Peter Rabbit into a book and the rest is history.



Most people recognize her by photographs like this one






This, however, is my favorite picture of her






And this film I have seen a million times.
Never get tired of watching it.






How about you?
Who's your hero?




5 comments:

Juriko Kosaka said...

Her picture books are very popular in Japan too.
My parents also gave me the books in my childhood.
I got to want to watch the movie "Miss Potter".
I've not watched it yet.

Brooke Boynton-Hughes said...

This is such a wonderful post Alicia! Beatrix Potter is one of my very favorites too. Thank you for reminding me about "Miss Potter". I think I'll try to track it down today to watch it again! :)

Mai Kemble said...

one of the best presents I was ever presented was "Beatrix Potter: A Journal" ;) I love her, too... she is very inspiring for women as well... being that she made enough to support herself as well, which was rare during her day.
nice post, ;)

Phyllis Harris said...

lol!! Beatrix is my hero, too, Ali!!! From the very beginning of my journey, I have loved Beatrix Potter! And of course, I bought the movie as soon as it was available and have watched it over and over again, along with the documentary that came with it. :) Thanks for this sweet post!!

Alicia Padrón said...

I'm glad to hear she is your hero too you guys! Yes, Mai, that makes it even more remarkable... She did all that being a woman in a man's world. :o)